What is Active Listening?
Your Business Mindset is easier to enhance
if you are able to master Active Listening.
But what is Active listening?
Is it any different than listening?
YES. We can all recall situations where we have utterly failed to listen to what someone else is saying. For various reasons, we are simply not taking in anything useful.
How many times have you been introduced to a person by name only to not know what their name is thirty seconds later?
The reason this happens is because you have failed to actively listen. By italicizing the word “actively”, it might suggest that actively listening is different to plain old listening. In truth, there are only two states when we are communicating with another person: actively listening, and not really listening.
There are many reasons why people fail to listen properly.
- They may be distracted by an activity they are attempting whilst listening,
- They may be distracted by other thoughts in their head they deem to be more important
- Or they might be thinking about what they are going to say next, which is a common flaw in communication between parties whose opinions differ.
Active listening focuses attention on the speaker. It involves the listener subjugating their own needs for a while in deference to those of the listener. It requires concentration and a genuine willingness to hear what is being said. There must be a sincere DESIRE to want to be an active listener and leave Your EGO at the door.
There may be an underlying FEAR that you won’t be accepted unless you continue to explain everything and keep your focus on your thoughts, but in reality the person who learns to master the art of listening will make more of an impression than the a person who is focused on the ME (Ego).
I am sure you have been at a social gatherings where someone stood out, not because of their sharing all their Knowledge, rather the LISTENED.
We have just published a 22 page guide on the How To Listen more actively and effectively, to grow your Business Mindset and increase your sales and profits. The Book is absolute FREE except you need to TWEET
The book details:
1. Why It Is So Important To Actively Listen .
2. Common Barriers to Active Listening.
3. The Four Components of Active Listening Improving Your Active Listening Skills.
4. Reflective Listening Content goes here